Monday, 3 December 2012

Candied Citrus for the Holidays



As an ode to an older era I love to candy citrus for the holidays. They are delicious to eat and make great decorations with any meal. Sure, candying citrus originally spoke a lot about your status in society, that is if you could afford to buy citrus and not just eat it, but it also was a method of preservation. I must add that, as lovely as fruit is when in candy form, there's no way I could eat it like that all winter, and I am quite thankful for my refrigerator. But I digress.

I candied these oranges and Meyer lemons at the beginning of the year, and they have been sitting in syrup, preserved in mason jars in my panty untouched, waiting for an occasion. I used the french method (detailed tutorial here) over 2 weeks, which is gradual, but I find the result is superior to ones candied in simple syrup for an hour all at once. Regardless, it's not a time consuming method, and they look quite impressive to any holiday dinner guests who come your way.

The flavour that the Meyer lemons adapt is quite unique. 



The orange wedges are also good dipped in dark chocolate.


5 comments:

  1. Ok, so I hate to sound stupid but I don't get it. I looked at the receipt and color me confused - it said to scrape out the pulp but yours look like you left the pulp in. Once you were done with all the simmering and stuff, do you just pour the fruit and syrup into mason jar to store? And how did you get them sugary? Yours look super yummy so I'm dying to make some of my own...:-) Sorry for all the questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, the example I used had Buddha's hands instead of regular citrus. Yes, I left the pulp in. After I boiled them in the syrup each time I would put them back in the mason jar and seal it (I don't trust my house to be clean enough to let them sit out). When they were candied I put them in the jar and put the jars in my basement, out of the light. When you want to eat them, just take them out and dry them on parchment. You can then dip them in chocolate, or roll them in sugar. I found the meyer lemons more moist, so to avoid the sugar dissolving I used coarse, unrefined sugar, although any coarse sugar would work. The oranges dried better so I rolled them in regular white sugar without a problem.

    Sorry for my lack of clarity! This website has a much more detailed way of explaining it: http://www.couldntbeparve.com/2011/03/the-best-candied-citrus/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much - I'm definitely giving this a whirl when finals are done. I'll let you know if I'm as successful as you - yours are beautiful!

      Delete
  3. interesting....I can't do anything with food but they sure look nice!!

    ReplyDelete